Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

99. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Since the Da Vinci Code and I really do love history, I started picking up religious thrillers and the like that belong to that genre. So when I was back home last May, I picked up 2 books(The Last Templar- which will be discussed next. which had interesting summaries and the protagonist was female (ok so that still gets to me) It wasn't until I started to read the book that I found out that it was about Dracula but not Bram Stoker Dracula. Turns out that dracula was really this vicious warlord, known as Vlad the Impaler that was known for his cruelty and love for you guessed right ...impaling. And how chosen people who mysteriously receive a blank book with just a picture of a dragon would be caught up in this web of intrigue, tragedy and death, in that order or otherwise.
I liked how the book was written, It is in a first person narrrative which I do not gemerally read but involves the retelling of a retelling so you jump from points of view of different characters in a way. The description is very eloquent that I found myself falling in love with Hungary and Budapest (its on my list of places to visit in Europe near the top now- and coincidentally my friend went there in his honeymoon and he aid it was really wonderful). 4 star.

No comments: